Sunday, December 23, 2007

Top 10 Christmas Songs

An important component of the holiday season is the music. I am not talking about Christmas caroling. We are not in a Dickens story, thank you.

I refer to the glut of songs out there praising chestnuts roasting on an open fire, riding in a one-horse open sleigh, and running over grandmothers. And beware - there is a lot of terrible stuff out there. My Christmas gift to you is to offer you only the finest musical compositions. I am going to channel my inner Casey Kasem.

Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the stars

I am providing you the Top 10 Christmas Songs of All Time. Let’s count’em down.

#10 - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Brenda Lee

A nice toe tapper to get things started. You know it is a good tune when Macaulay Culkin can scare off Daniel Stern and Joe Pesci with it in Home Alone.


#9 Linus And Lucy - Vince Guaraldi Trio


Is he really going Charlie Brown? Oh, yes. And we will revisit the Original Soundtrack from the legendary "A Charlie Brown Christmas" before this list is over. The "Linus and Lucy" song is a piano tune that basically is your Peanuts theme song. It is also featured in "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." I have become reacquainted with these classic cartoons because Cade has requested one or the other on a daily basis since mid-October.



The song is timeless, and you have to play the air piano when it is on. That Schroeder is a musical genius.

#8 Jingle Bell Rock - Hall & Oates

Hall & Oates make the list not as much for the actual song (which is a solid version of Bobby Helm's original Christmas favorite), but for the cheesy video. The Jingle Bell Rock video was early MTV. Back when MTV played music. I am not ashamed to say I really like Hall & Oates and their blue eyed soul music, but their videos reek of the 80's. Composed of Duran Duran, Def Leppard, and Michael Jackson, bad 80's videos are my childhood.

#7 Let This Be Our Prayer - Celine Dion and Andre Bocelli


Two powerful voices come together on this one. It is really a beautiful song. I have seen the song performed in person a few times (although never by these two), and it is quite impressive. One complaint, however. Am I crazy, or is this tune very similar to the Beauty and the Beast song with Celine and Peabo Bryson? Anyone?


Of course, Celine is "the greatest singer in the world."

#6 - Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid

Again, revisiting the formative years. I loved this song. Bono, Sting, George Michael, Bananarama, and Boy George? Forget about it.

This was the original "raise awareness" song. Bob Geldof's mission to give relief to the victim's of the Ethiopian famine in the mid-80's started the trend of singing for a cause. Following this force of nature, we had USA for Africa / Live Aid, Farm Aid, and then recently, Live 8. But this was the Grandaddy of Them All.

#5 Just Like Christmas - Low

You may not have heard this one. I found it on a random Christmas compilation cd. It kind of has a Garden State kind of vibe to it, but a little more upbeat. Although not a traditional holiday tune, and a bit off the beaten track, I highly recommend it.

#4 The Hanukkah Song - Adam Sandler

I have checked with the judges. The songs on the Top 10 Christmas Songs do not have to be about Christmas. An interesting technicality. There is however a quota on Hanukkah songs, so Driedel did not make the cut.

This could be the funniest song ever. Sandler remixes it every few years, and I look forward to each one.

Happy Gilmore can bring it

We have been working with Cade on this one. He has "O.J. Simpson, not a Jew," down pat. He struggles a bit with, "But guess who is. Hall of Famer Rod Carew. He converted." Cade will soon master it, and you can look for it on YouTube. April and I feel it is important to teach our son critical skills that will prepare him for life. Nothing is more crucial than Adam Sandler lyrics.

#3 Christmas Time is Here (vocal) - The Vince Guaraldi Trio

As promised, we would be coming back to "A Charlie Brown Christmas." The melancholy "Christmas Time is Here" (vocal) is one of my all-time favorites. The children's choir type thing going on is great. And it is not like a professional choir. It is more like your grade school choir. I love that.

I note that this is the vocal version. There is also the instrumental version as well (which is also stellar). The entire soundtrack is great (available at a Starbucks near you, by the way). It is very mellow, and heavy on the piano.

#2 The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole

Perhaps this is the standard for all Christmas songs. This song just exudes Christmas. The opening of "Chestnuts roasting on open fire," conveys everything about the season . It puts you in the holiday mood. Nat King Cole is money. He has one of the top voices, ever. You just can't go wrong with The King. In fact, it is an upset of sorts that it is not #1.

Which brings us to...........................

#1 Donde Esta Santa Claus?

What?

No, this is not a misprint.


Donde Esta Santa Claus. Doesn't it roll of the tongue? This is my newest favorite song. This is a Spanglish tune, in the same vein as "Feliz Navidad." But way, way better.

A guy named Augie Rios originally recorded this thing back in 1958. The version that tops our charts was done by Guster - an indie rock group from Boston. They apparently tour with Barenaked Ladies from time to time. But I have heard no other song from them beyond this gem.

This song is so catchy. When you start off the thing with, "Mamacita," it had better be good. When you have Santa call out his reindeer with the names "Pancho, Pedro, Pasty, and Pesky," it had better be good. And trust me, it is awesome.

I made a copy of it for the Spanish teacher at my school. I thought it would be a mooey bueno addition to the Espanol curriculum. I am guessing there is little to no educational value to it, but, c,mon. It is good, clean, fun.

So on Christmas Eve, we will be saying, "Donde Esta Santa Claus?"

That is the list, people. Learn it. Embrace it. Love it. If you have any suggestions or arguments, leave a comment. Sorry I did not place a "Long Distance Dedication" in the middle of the list. I do have a list of "Also Receiving Votes." But, I am choosing to keep them to myself.

1 comment:

kam said...

Oh- I embrace is all- whole-heartedly!!