Thursday, December 6, 2007

Running Man

On Saturday, December 8th, I will be running in the Southern California Half Marathon. Yes, that was not a misprint. Half Marathon. Thirteen miles.

I have joined up with the Students Run LA program at my school. SRLA helps middle and high school students to be able to complete the Los Angeles Marathon. That's right. Kids running 26.2 miles. And it is my goal to join them.

Last year, 3,300 students ran the marathon. 90% of them finished. I like these odds. If thirteen year olds are finishing the marathon, then a former D-1 athlete like myself can finish, right? Right? Maybe.....? Li'l help, here.

The mission of Students Run L.A. is to challenge at-risk secondary students to experience the benefits of goal-setting, character development, adult mentoring and improved health by providing them with a truly life-changing experience: The training for and completion of The City of Los Angeles Marathon. At VdMMS, we open up the club to any student interested. It is not limited to "at-risk" students. There was a student on my special education caseload who finished last year. It was amazing to think that my sixth grade student was able to complete a full marathon. I stated I would treat her and her cousin (who also ran) to lunch if they finished. Sure enough, Taco Bell was on me. I figure 26.2 miles was worth a couple bean burritos with no onions.



For me, Saturday will be a big test. The run is in Irvine. I have not run thirteen miles in my life. In fact, I subscribed to Val Kilmer's way of thinking in Real Genius. When asked if he still runs, Chris Knight (Kilmer) responds: "Only when chased."



But, so far, so good. I am progressing nicely for the March marathon. We have run 7.5 miles as a group in our training runs after school. I have also mixed in a ten mile run on my own. So I have that going for me. Which is nice.

The key will be the 4 to 1 technique. Run for four minutes, then walk for one minute. It really keeps you fresh, and allows to keep a solid pace for longer runs. The run in Irvine should be fairly flat, which is welcomed. There are some pretty large hills around Vista del Mar MS, so we train on tough terrain. I am not a big fan of hills. It will be nice that the longest run of my life will be flat. One thing not working in favor is the weather. It should be wet and cold on Saturday. That is no bueno.

Check back on Sunday to see if I am still alive. My guess is that I will be posting from bed.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Best of luck in your run! And congratulations on inspiring the children. You never know which ones life you are impacting on or how.